Cement Patio Maintenance Tips
A gathering coming up? Don’t forget the outdoor setting. Your cement patio endures a lot of beating you should get some good cleaning too. Here are few tips from experts:
1. Clear the patio of furniture, potted plants and other things. Remove dirt and rubbles from the surface with a broom. Pull out weeds that have grown between cracks and around the edges.
2. If your patio is lightly soiled, get a stiff brush to sweep the dirt. A bleach and water solution can be used to loose stains. Pour 1/8 cup of liquid dishwashing soap on the solution and place it in a spray bottle. Spurt the solution on target areas and leave it for at least 10 minutes, allowing the solution to react with the stain, before scrubbing the area with a taut nylon-bristled brush. It is not advised to use metallic brush to prevent metal bits from getting into the concrete. These metal bits can rust and ruin the look of your patio.
Bleach is a strong chemical that can be harmful to plants. So if there are flowerbeds around your patio, opt for a gentler option like an oxygen bleach. Dilute this in water, gush it on the cement patio, and let it sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing off. For hardy stains, create a more consistent solution (almost like a paste) using water and oxygen beach. Apply the paste on stained spots and leave it for at for 1 hour before scrubbing it using a nylon-bristled brush.
3. If you’re hesitant about using commercial products, try to make this eco-friendly cleaner using things that can be found in your kitchen.
Vinegar’s acidity that loosen gunk, so it can be used for cleaning cement patios, too. For light stains, mix vinegar and water in equal proportions, and for heavy stains, add more vinegar than water. Baking soda can also be used for patio cleaning. Just mix 1/2cup of it to 1 gallon of water, then add 1/8 cup of any liquid detergent. Spray the solution on the patio, allow it to react with the stains for half an hour, then scrub and wash with water.
4. For patios with stubborn stains or mildew growth, it is advised to use a pressure water. If you don’t have one at home, find a tool rental shop near you. Simply follow the instructions of the manufacturer on the proper way of using the equipment. Don’t forget to put on gloves and protective eyewear to shield yourself against the strong force. With a plastic sheeting, cover your home’s exterior and outdoor furniture from debris that the pressure water might shove.
5. After cleaning your patio, apply concrete sealer on the surface to guard it against future stains. Work from the centre of the patio towards the edges. Once the sealer is dry, you’ll have sparkling place for outdoor entertaining.
If the gathering is happening real soon, hire a residential cleaners Melbourne to help you get prepared. You can start shopping for the food and drinks while they freshen your home.